Travel to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein will change after Brexit from 1 January 2021. All new measures and requirements are still being announced, so do check the website for the most up to date information.

Although much will remain the same, it is strongly advised you check a number of things before you travel:

(information correct as of 16 December 2020)


Check your passport

You may need to renew your British passport earlier if you’re travelling from 1 January 2021. If you do not renew your passport, you may not be able to travel to most EU countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

On the day you travel, you’ll need your passport to both:

  • have at least 6 months left
  • be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left)

Click here to check whether your passport is valid for the country you’re visiting.


Border control

At border control, you may need to:

  • show a return or onward ticket
  • show you have enough money for your stay
  • use separate lanes from EUEEA and Swiss citizens when queueing

If you’re a tourist, you will not need a visa for short trips to most EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. You’ll be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. Check each country’s travel advice page for information on how to get a visa or permit.

post brexit travel advice

Travel & Health Insurance

Make sure you get travel insurance that covers your healthcare before you leave the UK. Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will be valid only up to 31 December 2020

It’s particularly important you get travel insurance with the right cover if you have a pre-existing medical condition. This is because the EHIC scheme covers pre-existing conditions, while many travel insurance policies do not. Click here to read about buying travel insurance with the right cover.


Getting There

If flying to the European Union, you may need to get a visa or permit. Check each country’s travel advice page for more information.

If driving to the European Union, make sure you have the right driving documents:

  • You will still need to carry your UK driving licence with you
  • You might need to also get an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some countries from 1 January 2021 – You can get an IDP at the Post Office for £5.50.
  • If you’re taking your own vehicle, you will also need a ‘green card’ and a GB sticker

apres ski for dogs

Travelling with Pets

Make sure you organise pet travel – From 1 January 2021 you will not be able to use the existing pet passport scheme. Instead, you’ll need to follow a different process, which takes 4 months. Follow the guidance about Click here to find out more about pet travel to Europe from 1 January 2021.


Travelling for Business

Business travel includes activities such as travelling for meetings and conferences, providing services (even with a charity), and touring art or music. As well as the actions all travellers need to take, there are extra actions if you’re travelling to the EU for business.

You may need to:

Chalet Le Grenier Exterior in Meribel

Want to go skiing this winter? Check out our fully-staffed luxury ski chalets and Alpine self-catered apartments in the French Alps.

Share this page: